Friday, February 4, 2011

Two Year Olds Have Fancy Math

Fun With Numbers
My husband accuses me of engaging in what he calls "fancy math."  Like, when I go to CVS and buy him some Listerine. I will come home and say, "Hey! Listerine was on sale today. It was $3, but after I paid, I got $3 in Extra Bucks back, so it was like FREE!"  He says, "No, it wasn't like free at all. You paid $3.  Next time you go to CVS, you will get $3 off a different item, and that will be FREE. I am on to you and your fancy math. I know you, you will claim the Listerine as FREE and then go use the $3 off on the next trip and claim that item FREE too..."

So, is it any wonder that the two-year old gets a little confused? 

The other day she came in and asked for a snack. I said, "It isn't snack time yet." She left the room. She came back a minute later.  "Is it 39 yet, Mommy? I am hungry!" Because, apparently, 39 is the new snack time.
Then, I handed her a marshmallow yesterday. She reached out her empty hand and says, "How about 8,9, 11 more?" I gave her two more. She ran off very happy.  

My five-year old just laughs at the two-year old and walks off shaking her head.  My five-year old is really sharp with the number thing. She adds, subtracts, divides, and keeps me on track with our posted schedule. She will go look at the schedule and say "Oh! Mom! It is time for you to be done on the computer and doing laundry or chores now! See??!"  Such a good little helper!....

For now, the two-year old's fancy math is keeping things very interesting and humorous around here.. for the most part. It causes some troubles from time to time. Like when she gets a nickel or a quarter for helping with a chore. She is saving her "monies" so she can buy a Go-Go Walking Dog like big sister bought herself with her birthday money several months ago.  The fancy math gets us all into trouble because we will hand the two-year old a nickel. Her eyes will get big as saucers and light up. Then, she will exclaim, "NOW I HAVE MONIES! I CAN GO GET GO-GO!!"  Then, there is the inevitable tear fest as we try to explain why one nickel does not $50 make.  Sigh.  

I have known parents who count out of order during games of hide and seek with their children.. It speeds the tedious game up a bit when you do that, or so I hear. But then, I hear the children of said adults going around counting, "1, 2, 3, 14, 18, 36, 42, 50, 11!"  

At least I am not teaching them fancy math on purpose!  That counts, right? (see what I did there? hahaa.. counts...haha)


No comments:

Post a Comment