Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Gift From the Heart, From My 5 Yr Old, to My Almost 3 Yr Old

The Countdown to the Big Princess and The Frog 
Birthday Party has Started.
And Sister Knows What Gift She Wants to Give

The other day I was at the Outlet Mall. I noticed that Disney was having an additional 25% off clearance items sale.  Knowing that my 5 yr old hasn't yet picked out a gift to give her sister on Friday at the big birthday party, I stopped in to see if they had any Princess and the Frog items on clearance.  And, super woot! They did. They had a Prince Naveen Frog Plush for about $4 (Down from $16!). So, I got that, got a clearanced reusable bag to use as gift bag for 74 cents, and then went looking for the perfect finishing touch.  I found that at Harry and David's: Gummi Frogs!! (about $2)

I came home really excited.  Usually, my 5 yr old has gummies on the brain. I thought I could take her in the back and talk to her about what type of gift she wants to get for her little sister.  I just knew I could lead her down the path to say "something Princess and the Frog and some gummies."

No such luck.

Me: Have you thought about what you want to give your sister on her birthday? 
Precocious: Yes, I already gave her her gift.
Me: Oh?
Precocious: Yep. I gave her the nice Mario tag off my new rolling Mario Backpack
Me: The price tag with the picture of Mario on it??
Precocious: Yep, that's the one!
Me: I don't think that will fly as an actual gift. Trash is not a gift.
Precocious: Oh. It's not? Oh. Ok. 
Me: Can you think of anything she might like? What is her birthday about? What do you like to get on your birthday? Can you think of a gift like that?
Precocious:  Oh, I know! I will give her my love.

This child is a lost cause at this point. So, I give up.
Me: Ok. How about this. You are giving your sister this plush frog, these gummies, and this neat gift bag. What do you think of that?
Precocious: Perfect. Thanks, Mom. Can I go play video games now? 

Eye Roll.

2 comments: