Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WARNING: It's About "That Time of the Month"

The First Time My 2-Yr Old Walked In On Me When it Was "That Time"
*It Had Been 3 1/2 Years In Between Periods, so This Was a Real Shock To Her System!

Why would I post this type of story? Because it is funny. Because it illustrates what it means to have children.. ie: a total lack of any kind of privacy. Mainly, because I told my husband this story while he was brushing his teeth the other morning, and he laughed so hard that the toothpaste he didn't choke on ended up all over the mirror and wall. He said, after rinsing his mouth and wiping the wall, "You HAVE to blog this."

So, here is my story. Sorry if it offends.

Having children and being a SAHM means you don't get a lot of time to yourself.. or even privacy. With a baby walking around, I often have an audience when I go to the bathroom for any reason. The baby has to tear sheets of toilet paper off the roll and sometimes tries to help her sisters wipe. Sigh. The baby tries to brush her own hair and teeth and sometimes confuses the brushes. Sigh. The baby even has to grab a book and sit on my lap if I will be more than a few seconds using the facility. SIGH. However, when you are the only adult at home, and there is a baby who is liable to choke or otherwise get hurt, you tend to bring them in the bathroom with you.

So, No Privacy.

Well, to give you an idea about why my 2 yr old would be so shocked the first time she walked in on me during "that time", having children so closely together meant that it had been 3 1/2 yrs in between visits from my monthly visitor. Yes. 3 1/2 YEARS. Do the math. I got pregnant before I even resumed my period after baby number 2. Whoops!

So, when I finally did start back, it did not occur to me that my 2 yr old would find it anything other than usual. I do close the bathroom door. When I am alone, though, I don't lock it. What if there is an emergency? I encourage the kids to knock, but sometimes 2 yr olds are forgetful.


The 2 yr old walked in suddenly one day. She stopped, looked at me, and in a voice one might use when confronted with a terrible, heartbreaking and shocking scenario (such as seeing a kitten get hit by a car), she says "OH MY GOD!" Pause. "Are you OK, Mommy?" "I am SOOO SORRY!!"

Yep. I was shocked by her response, and surprised by her entrance. Then, I started laughing really hard. I calmed her down and kissed her and thanked her for her concern and tried to explain that that is natural for mommies to do that. It was totally a new thing to her. And she was a little traumatized that I might be hurt.

Poor 2 yr old! She is so loving and empathetic. Now, when she sees my "supplies", she says "Mommy, are these your band-aids?"


You have to have a sense of humor about these things. And, You have to reconsider your position on locking the bathroom door.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Talk about timing!! I died laughing reading this cause we JUST had an incident! My three year old found my "trash" from *ahem* my monthly visitor last night. I was bathing the baby and I sit on the toilet while I'm bathing in there so when the three year old needed to pee I sent him to my toilet. He was gone tooooo long, so I had my 7 year old stand in the bathroom with the baby in the tub while I went to check on the three year old. YEEEEKS! I walked in and he yelled "GROSS MAMA!!!" And was digging in the trash can opening up all the tissue that was wrapped around the "trash". I said "it is gross!! Don't play in the trash!".... and he said... "mama needs medicine!!". LOL! Gotta love life with kids! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is GREAT! Once, I found the baby walking around with a used preg test IN HER MOUTH! OH, I DIED!!! She loves the trash can...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this is so freaking funny!!!

    ReplyDelete