Thursday, January 20, 2011

Just Another Manic Morning

I Love it When Daddy Teaches the Kids Cool New Stuff
Especially When it is "Potty" Related.



We were up bright and early getting ready for our day full of errands. I was helping the two big girls get dressed in the living room. The 5 yr old exclaims, quite out of the blue, mind you, "Oh my! I do believe my derriere smells like a rose!" I only have half a second to process that before I hear a child in the bathroom. I scan the room and see the only child not present is the 16-month old. Babies+Bathroom= Disaster. "Who left the bathroom door open again?!!" I huff as I dash to the bathroom...

Once in the bathroom, I find the baby. She had moved the little step stool over by the toilet. She was now standing on it, half sitting/half perching on the edge of the toilet. Yes, she was fully clothed. No, she isn't potty training and doesn't know how to identify the "urge" yet.. (as proven by the fact that earlier that morning, she got into bed with me and laid on my tummy. She didn't move or change her breathing or anything. She was just a still, cuddly cherub.. who all of a sudden started to stink really bad. Yep, I officially started my day by getting pooped on.. sort of) But, here she was, trying to be a big girl. By just sort of sitting on the toilet.. just like the big girls. She looked at me, grinned, and said "Aww Done!" and hopped down and marched out. Ok....

My husband laughed when I told him this story.. Seems he has been putting her on the potty, trying to get her to do her business directly into the toilet while I have been at work. He doesn't like changing the dirty diapers... Thanks, sweetie! Now, every time the bathroom door is open and the baby walks buy, she has to go sit on the toilet for a while.. well.. because that is what she thinks you are supposed to do. You would think this would be a helpful thing my husband has conditioned her to do... You would think it would make potty training easier. Only, it is making my daily life much more difficult. Now, the baby has a new tantrum to throw when I don't let her go into the bathroom.. or once there, I remove her from the potty.

Back in the living room, it finally clicks with me that my 5 yr old had affected a fake Southern Lady accent when she proclaimed her derriere smelled like roses. I asked her where she heard that... DADDY, of course. And, I asked her what that meant.. "Well, I farted, of course!" Of course. Yes, my husband has spent many minutes going over and over this phrase with my soon to be Kindergartner. So that she will remember it and affect the proper accent/drawl. Oh, honey. You are going to make her "that kid".


Everyone's husband is like this, right? He's only trying to be helpful, right? That explains why he laughs like a maniac when I tell him about my day, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment