Sunday, May 1, 2011

JimDandyPhobia

JimDandyPhobia... Because it Just Sounds so Much Better Than Plantophobia.




When my 5 yr old was about 1 and a half years old, my husband and I took her to a playground that had been neglected by the lawn care providers.  We carried her to the swings, set her down in the grass, and just stood there in shock as she proceeded to scream in abject terror.  She all but climbed her daddy trying to get him to pick her back up.  


When my 5 year old was 2 years old and we were in my car, we had the misfortune to stop the car at a light where there was lots and lots of high weeds on the corner.  She looked out the window and started proclaiming in fear and dismay "WEE! WEE!" (weeds)  She did not settle down until we drove off.


Then, she refused to play in Nana's backyard every time we visited over the next few years, UNLESS Nana called her yard guy in advance. Now, Nana has a nice backyard. It is landscaped and everything... but it is prone to those tall "Y" weeds.  


Finally, about a year ago, the 5 1/2 yr old seemed to magically and wonderfully forget this fear.  


Until Last Week.


My 5 yr old and 3 yr old were standing at my car, about to get in.  The 3 yr old took a step back to allow me to open the door for them... she stepped backward into the grass. And, right in the middle of a small cluster of "Y" weeds.  The 5 yr old GASPED! And said, "OH NO, Oh Honey! You are in the weeds! Hurry, step out!  Are you OK??!  Did that weed HURT YOU? Poor honey!"


What??! What what?? Did the WEED hurt the 3 yr old? Really??? And where the heck did "honey" come from?


The 3 yr old said "Mmm Hmmm. (yes) That bad weed hurt me. Where's the weed? What?"


Yeah.


So, I tried to look up Fear of Weeds, but all I could come up with was Fear of Marijuana, Fear of Dandylions (Jimdandyphobia), and Fear of Plants.




This is such a bizarre phobia to me. I am wondering if we will ever outgrow this one!

8 comments:

  1. I'd love to say that they'll grow out of it, and they just might, but I'm 15 and still living with Jimdandyphobia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly thought I was the only person in the world with this fear! When I was a child, I was terrified of what I guess is the "moon" of the dandelion "sun"- the white park left over when you blow away the seeds. Even at the age of 18, they still freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 44 and I too thought I was the only person in the world with this fear. The earliest memory I have is being 5 years old and bullied at school because of it.

      I've learned to live with it through the years, and apart from my family no-one knows of my phobia now (I just avoid wherever they might be).

      Delete
  3. I have jindandyphobia too. I'm 49 and have had it since at least the age of 5. Only my partner and brother know. I've just come to see it as part of life, but I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 38 and have been afraid of white dandelions since I was at least 5. Give me chills every time I see a group of them and I swear no matter what direction I look at them from, it looks like they are looking at me.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I am 33 and I hate white dandelions. As a child, I could not walk on the grass if it contained dandelions. I have overcome fear, but disgust remains. White or bald dandelions are disgusting for me, like cockroaches for other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am 30 and I have been disgusted by dandelions my whole life. The bigger they are, the worse. I hate them in all forms. Even the leaves freak me out. And if its a multi headed one, no thanks!I can drink dandelion tea tho

    ReplyDelete