Sunday, May 1, 2011

That is NOT a Brown Ball of Play Doh: A Cautionary Tale for Parents Of Preschoolers that Love Horses

CAUTION! This is ANOTHER One of THOSE Stories.. But This Time, It Is About Horse Manure.


Our friends recently got a horse. Yay! :) Free Pony Rides for the kids!

What could be bad about that, right? With a horse comes manure.  Which is fine and natural and a good fertilizer... but not so good as a substitute for balls and Play Doh.

Yesterday, my kids were playing in our friends' backyard with other kids.  This backyard is pretty neato. It has swings, and play houses, and slides, and even a sand pit!  And, as the owners of the horse are super awesome and let the kids interact with the horse and brush the horse, etc, this backyard has a small area in the back corner where the horse likes to relieve itself.

The kids stayed away from that corner all day. It was pretty easy to do as this is a LARGE backyard.

Fast Forward to the end of the day.  The horse had been put back out in the pasture.  So, I let my big kids play outside for a little while before I called them in to get cleaned up.  It is the type of situation where the older kids are fine to run and play in the yard without constant supervision. Supervision from the window with the occasional checking on them outside works fine.

I went to check on them.  I found my 3 yr old hopping over piles of horse poo. Or I thought that is what she was doing.  In reality, she was hopping ONTO the piles of poo... like a game... And as I glanced down, I realized I was STANDING NEXT TO HER SHOES! Yep. A game of Barefooted Poop Stomping was in full swing.  Then, as I started to call out to her, I stared on in shock and horror as I saw her reach down and PICK UP a round horse nugget... and THROW IT like it was a ball. She giggled and I started losing my mind and yelling at that point.


Really?? Horse Poop as toys?  Gross and Yuck.  My friend chuckled and said, "well, at least it's only processed hay and such."

Nice.

I hope I will laugh about this soon.  And I hope I NEVER catch a kid doing that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment