Monday, March 28, 2011

Eat Your Vegetables, Don't Play With Them.

The Other Day I Had a Big Problem.
The Kids Would Not Stop Playing With Their Veggies.
The other day started with as much chaos, etc as usual. I was scrambling to get the family some breakfast and clean the kitchen. I finally grabbed a cup of coffee and stepped out of the kitchen.

And promptly lost my mind.
Every room of the house, it seemed, had been invaded... by potatoes. The first potato was found under the dining room table. I was annoyed, but it seemed about par for the course. One of the kids, probably the baby, had snuck a potato out of the pantry while I was cleaning. Nice.

I went to confront the kids in the living room. They weren't there watching cartoons. There were 2 more potatoes in their place enjoying Elmo. Ok. I went from annoyed to mildly amused and frustrated. I scooped the taters up and headed towards the play room.
Another potato greeted me in the hall on the way.  I started to think I was losing my mind at this point.

Then another potato or two in the play room and a final potato in the girls' bedroom. This final potato was in the baby's hands.  Apparently, according to the five year old, potatoes make excellent balls to roll and play catch with.  And, apparently from the marks in the potatoes, if you get hungry in the middle of playing and you are only one and a half years old, the potatoes make for a quick and easy nibble snack.  The baby also had an empty potato sack with her. I smell a conspiracy. That sack, when it was full, would have been too heavy for the baby to haul off by herself, let alone sneak out from under my nose.
SIGH.

I finally got the potatoes back where they belonged.  

Then, I go about my day filled with chores.  I get to the bathroom. Something seems "off".  I can't immediately put my finger on it.  So, I start straightening the bathroom. I get to the drawer where we keep diaper cream and flushable wipes, etc. And I find a stack of fresh carrots. The same carrots I gave the baby an hour ago to snack on. Neatly filed away in the worst drawer for foodstuffs. 
SIGH.

Then, it hits me. The foam seat part of the toddler toilet is missing. I look everywhere for it. Can't find it anywhere. 
Finally, hours and several shenanigans later, I sit down for the first time of the day.  Sitting on my couch, I immediately see the toilet seat. Wedged under my TV Entertainment center. 

SIGH.
Potatoes, Carrots, and Potty Seats.  Thankfully, a friend called and invited the kids over to play. So, I loaded the monsters up and took them to go get worn out at a friend's house.  By the time we got back home after that, it was time for Daddy to come home and help....

2 comments:

  1. Oh no. You jinxed me. The baby took off her diaper and put on her sister's Pull Up. Then walked into my dining room and pooped ALL OVER THE FLOOR. SIGH. Veggies in, Veggies out.

    ReplyDelete