Monday, January 17, 2011

Kinder-Music?

Kinder-Music?
The confession of a mom who is a closet Black-Eyed Peas enthusiast

Ok, so I have a confession: My kids know alternative music just as well as the standard E-I-E-I-O. I try really hard to balance my love of groups, such as the Black-Eyed Peas, with my responsibilities as a mother of young, children with tender ears. I listen to the radio with my kids in the car, and switch the station when they play the version with harsh language. I have sought out music that makes a decent enough compromise. We know the Snacktime Album by Barenaked Ladies by heart now. The Imagination Movers are often on our play list, too. But my kids are also well versed in standard radio fare such as Lady Gaga and Black-Eyed Peas. I naively thought that my kids in the backseat just like be-bopping around to the beat and weren't really paying close attention to the lyrics. Oh, I was wrong.

One afternoon my daughter was sitting by herself building with some blocks. She was quietly humming to herself. Wait.. was that.. surely not... Yep. I recognized that tune. I knew it the instant my two-year old burst out with a "Come here, Rude Boy Boy!!" in perfect Rhianna imitation. The next day, they sang along to the Black Eyed Pea's new remake of the Dirty Dancing Song. Well.. they hummed along with the tune as we were driving around town, and when it got to the point where they sing "Dirty Bit.. Dirty Bit," there was a full 3-girl background singer choir in my car. They really love to do the "Ppppppp Poker Face" Lady Gaga bit, too.

So, I have a problem. I must find a bunch of G-rated songs by my fave groups to play while I drive around. Because my girls love the pop stuff like I do. And they aren't just enjoying the beat. They are absorbing it!

I must note that they also love Mike Doughty, Rob Thomas, and even random groups like The Format. AND, when played the Anniversary Edition CD of sounds and songs from the past 25 years of Mario games, they can identify all the sound effects, and even tell you which game and level each song went with. It counts that they like the "my backpack's got jets, I'm Bobba the Fett".. right?? And bonus points for the Weird Al stuff, too.. right???

I am not the worst mother, right??? LOL. They get plenty of the E-I-E-I-O too, so simmer down! :) Wee Sing and Learn Dinosaurs is in their playroom CD player right now......

And their number one fave song of all times is the "We like to MOVE IT" song on the Madagascar soundtrack....

And they only listen to the Chicago the Musical soundtrack once every few months.....

Ok. Sigh. Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star it is for the next 10 years. That is the real reason God invented ear buds, right? So you can get your Black Eyed Peas groove on while you fold 10 loads of laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment