Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's Official: The Baby is Our New Pet

The One-Year Old Is Our New Dog...
Let Me Count the Ways!

As I was trying to get the girls to settle down tonight so we could have bedtime story time, the girls were all acting rambunctious, as usual. Tonight was especially interesting, as the baby was sitting in the corner of the room. She was guarding the basket we keep the board books in and was actually growling warnings at the other girls when they got too close. In that moment, she reminded me of my friend's anciently aged chihuahua when that dog gets really ticked about something. Just growling and grumbling and warning, and daring the children to come closer. In that instant, I realized we don't really need a dog or a pet. The one-year old is our pet.
  • She growls at the other children.
  • When in trouble, or when she hears the word "NO!", she runs up to you to give you sloppy kisses all over your face.
  • She will eat just about anything.
  • She digs through the trash.
  • She poops all over my floor. (Mainly right after getting out of the tub. She runs from you and poops.)
  • When someone is sad, she has to go sit by them and even puts her head on their lap sometimes.
  • You have to make sure she gets plenty of food and water and activity time.
  • If I am sitting down, she has to come sit in my lap.
  • She digs around in the dirt outside.
  • She bolts for the open door to escape outside whenever she sees an opportunity.
  • She loves a good car ride and sings along with the radio.
  • She has really big eyes and is so totally adorable.
  • Everyone that sees her wants to hold and pet on her.
  • When she eats, she drops food bits all over the floor.. then goes and eats them off the floor.
  • She chews on anything that isn't nailed down.
  • She has become quite the "pen" escape artist and can get out of her crib and the highchair with ease.
  • You often walk in to find her standing on the dining room table, rooting for forgotten leftovers.
  • You have to take her for her shots.
  • She bites fingers when they get too close to her mouth. (How many times have I had to say, while driving, "Well, then. DON'T PUT YOUR FINGERS IN HER MOUTH!!" ?)
  • She follows simple commands: Stay, Sit, Lay Down
  • She will shake your hand.
  • The kids play fetch with her.
  • Don't get me started on the water in the toilet bowl.

Yep. My kids have been asking for a pet lately. Now, I can say, "But you already have one!" I did get the some Zhu Zhu pets for Christmas... between those and the baby, I figure the kids are covered for now!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard it said that having children is a lot like having a dog that slowly learns how to talk. Very true.

    ReplyDelete