Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pasta Power!

My 5-Yr Old is Obsessed with Mario
Almost a year ago, I found these adorable jean over-alls, OshKosh don't you know!, on clearance for $3.48. I bought them for my now 5-yr old. I thought she would think they were pretty. They have small embroidered flowers on them. At the very least, I knew she would wear them whenever I put them out for her, because she is my easy child and wears whatever I ask her to wear. No such luck with these. She wore them for 5 minutes and declared she would not wear them any longer, not ever again.
Until......

About 4 months ago, this same daughter developed a fixation with Mario. See, my 5 yr old is not your typical 5 yr old. She can read on an almost 5th grade level. She can add, subtract, divide, and tell you about the universe and name the dinosaurs.  She is very sharp. AND, she likes "kid stuff" but doesn't really get too into it. Then, one day, while Daddy was playing Wii, she discovered Mario and has never looked back.

She watches the Mario show on Netflix. She plays Old School Nintendo Mario, and she plays Mario Wii games like Galaxy, Smash Brothers, etc.  She reads books on the history of Mario. She listens to Mario cds of the soundtracks and sound bits from the games and can tell you what game, what level, what effect you are listening to.  She got some birthday money and went and bought the cutest pink rolling Mario backpack. Mario, Mario, Mario. She even begs for the Mario gummies at Walmart, and dreams that she, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and even Bowser are all BFFs.   

Well, guess what Mario wears... Yep. Overalls! Now that my daughter wants to dress like Mario, these OshKosh overalls get worn as fast as they get washed. I have to beg her to wear a different outfit some days.  Because on Mondays, we have to wear the overalls with a red shirt and hat so we can be Mario. Tuesday is a green shirt and hat so we can be Luigi.  Wednesday is a white shirt with pink flowers on it so we can be "Fire Mario."  Thursday we didn't wear our overalls or a hat. We were "Blue Mario." ("He's just a mirror of Mario, Mom.") Ok....  

At least the overalls are getting worn right?

*The two-year old wants in on this fascination.  She puts this lovely pink dress up costume on and proclaims herself to be Princess Peach.  I think I will institute a No Mario Monday rule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment